FAVA seeks an exciting, inspiring, and innovative media artist to come to Edmonton this summer!
The FAVA Visiting Artist Residency welcomes applications from artists in any stage of their practice, based anywhere in the world outside of Edmonton, who are producing film or video art.
The successful applicant will be required to be in Edmonton for the month of August, 2017
. FAVA will provide CDN $5000.00 to the successful applicant, to cover the costs of travel, accommodation, subsistence, and materials. All arrangements for travel and accommodation are the responsibility of the visiting artist. The successful applicant will receive the payment in three instalments:
- first payment upon signing of contract - CDN $2,500.00
- second payment upon arrival in Edmonton - CDN $1,250.00
- third payment upon completion of residency - CDN $1,250.00
The activity of the residency will be:JULY 2017
- Select one video for streaming on FAVATV, and write an accompanying artist statement blog post about the work. Selection can be a previous work by the Visiting Artist, or an existing film by another artist who has inspired you — the Visiting Artist must secure permission from rights holder to stream any work.
- Reside in Edmonton for the month of August 2017.
- Create a new work to be streamed on FAVATV. This work can be any length, in any style or genre. The Visiting Artist will have free use of any gear in the FAVA Production Depot that is not booked out by other FAVA members, and free use of our Exhibition Suite and post-production facilities (edit suite, darkroom) as available. Project must be uploaded to FAVATV by August 31, 2017, along with an accompanying artist statement blog post.
- Present an artist talk at FAVA.
- Run a workshop (three hours or longer) for FAVA members. Workshop must result in something tangible which can be exhibited at the FAVA Summer Party on August 25th (This can include samples from workshop participants' work-in-progress).
- Keep weekly scheduled office hours (three hours per week) to meet with FAVA members and provide artistic guidance or feedback as requested.
Previous FAVA Visiting Artists have included Christina Battle
and Matthew Rankin